Joe Higgins is a serial entrepreneur, talk show host, turn around CEO and arm chair political pundit.
He’s done over a dozen start up ventures and a hand full of turn arounds. He’s a subject expert in healthcare operations and policy and produces a podcast on the topic.
Politics is in his blood, from his training at the University of Arizona to running for a county wide public office to over 7 years on the air hosting a morning drive time political talk show. The intersection of politics, human nature and history explains it all.
Joe digs in, he’s not afraid to completely reinvent himself into a new field.
For Joe, research and data is the foundation of a start up. Sales and marketing coupled with financial analysis lead to results. With over three decades of experience, experience, curiosity and hard work all help stack the entprenuerial odds in his favor. He’s failed, he’s succeeded, he love’s the hunt. In third grade, his assignment was to write an essay on what he would do with a million dollars. Sure, a pool and new house were in the story but so was buying a gold mine. Reinvesting in income producing assets at 8 years old, now that’s an entrepreneur. He got a ‘C’ on the paper.
Joe’s driven a trash truck (and grown and sold a mid size trash company), he built a chain of cell phone stores in two states, then jumped over to create a franchisable haircut group in the Tucson market. He turned around a medical high complexity lab (Tiburon) with three dozen employees and thousands of clients. He developed a commercial center and helped start up a charter school.
Joe blogs, wrote columns in business newspapers and produced two podcasts. 10,000 hours, according Malcolm Gladwell, is what it takes to gain true expertise on a subject. Joe has a history of changing horses at the 10,000 hour mark. He takes past experiences, digs in whole hearted to a new venture and reinvents his career and his life…about every 10,000 hours. Joe’s has interviewed politicians from Senator to dog catcher, debated economists, ran campaigns and he gave up golf for crossfit and traded collecting old Cadillac’s and salt water aquariums for a passion learning the history of Western Civilization from 3000 B.C to present.
Joe is married to Chris Higgins and they have two kids a daughter and son.
START UP & ENTREPRENEURIAL EXPERIENCE
- Gotta Go Wireless CEO – founded in 1998 which grew from direct sales wireless phone distributorship to a 12 store chain in two states with 80+ employees and sales of $2.1 million. Gotta Go was the top dealer in the Country or region for Nextel, Sprint.
- Sports Buzz Haircuts CEO – was founded in 2003 and has grown to 9 locations employing 55+, in Tucson AZ. Franchise offering circulars, operation manuals and licensing agreements are in place to franchise the concept around the southwest. Sports Buzz is still serving clients in the Tucson region.
- Silverbell Pavilion – Developer of mid size retail center located on Tucson’s west side. Procured the land, secured financing, managed all construction and leasing.
- Talking Trash Waste Removal – CEO – was founded in 2004 and is a mid size trash company with commercial and residential divisions. Sold in 2013
- Rainmaker Medical – CEO Consulting and service provider to medical practices in Tucson and Phoenix. The company places technicians in medical practice to manage complex services.
- Quality of Life Medical – QofL Research – COO – QLMC is a mid size medical practice with a dozen Providers, including, NP’s MD’s, PA’s interventional pain specialists, family Doctors, a physical therapy department, an laser skin aesthetics department. The research division conducted over 150 clinical trials the largest pharma companies in the world.
- QMed Weight Loss Clinics – CEO – Under the medical practice umbrella, created a bolt on business to help patients lose weight. The goal was to create a franchisable business that could be added into medical practices around the US.
- Tiburon Diagnostic Laboratory – Turn Around CEO – In 2010 the lab was in total chaos, facing closure and regulatory shut down, stepped in and in over two years stabilized the operation, navigated two major law suits and employee regulatory actions while securing re-certification and increasing volume by 32%.
- Emerald Care LLC – Doctor and Nurse Practitioner home health service provider in the Tucson Market. Doctor house calls are back with a focus on independent living homes in the valley.
- Leman Academy of Excellence – Part of the founding board of the charter school. Involved in securing the charter with the States of Arizona and Colorado. LAE is the fastest enrolling charter school in Arizona and perhaps the US. There are over 1400 students in two locations including a full PreK division. The goal is to expand locations in Arizona and Colorado and grow throughout the US.
- Arizona Small Business Association – Board President of 40 year old, 11,000 member trade associations based in Phoenix with offices in Tucson and Flagstaff. Launched and chaired ASBA’s public policy efforts to affect small business issues at a state level. ASBA is Arizona’s largest trade association.
- Arizona Medical Education Task Force – Appointed by Governor Brewer to oversee formation and merger of a public private hospital group. UMC, Kino and UofA College of Medicine.
- Catholic Community Services – VP Board Member for 6 years of a $35m social service agency.
- Catholic Community Service Foundation – Founding Board President.
- Salpointe Catholic High School – Board Member – Executive Committee – 10 year member.
- Pima County Board of Supervisors – Candidate for public office 2008 – lost in primary.
- Tucson Chamber Of Commerce –2004 Small Business Leader of the Year
- Arizona Daily Star –2005 40 Under 40 inaugural honoree.
- Business Leader of the Year – 2008 – Marketing – ASBA
BA, University of Arizona 1993, Tucson, AZ.
BOARDS & COMMISSIONS
- Banner Health – Investigational Review Board – Member – Current
- Association of Clinical Review Professionals (ACRP) – Founder Tucson, Chapter VP
- Sertoma Club of Tucson – President
- Foothills Club of Tucson – Service Club – Founder two term President
- Mankind Project – 2003 initiate and staff leader
- City of Tucson – Small Business Commission (Chair), Environmental Services Committee, Citizens Sign Code Committee